Half/Full day tour up to 8 hours to Ancient Corinth, canal, Acrocorinthos
Corinth Tour. Even people who are not particularly interested in the history of the numerous ancient temples will certainly enjoy a morning tour or an afternoon tour to Ancient Corinth. Only to admire the stunning sight of the sun caressing the marble ruins of the Temple of Apollo with its last golden rays, just before setting in the waters of the Corinthian Gulf. Starting from Athens or Piraeus port, Corinth Private tour drives westward along the scenic coast of the Saronic Gulf through the ancient areas of Elefsis and Megara where the Battle of Salamis took place in 480 B. C . The Persians had overrun Athens and Attica and assembled their fleet in the Bay of Phaleron while the Greek trieres had withdrawn into the Bay of Elefsis. Soon our Corinth tour will reach the Corinth canal with its breathtaking views (short stop / on the bridge, which is the highest point of the canal).
The Isthmus of Corinth is cut by the Corinth Canal, constructed between 1882 and 1893. Involving an excavation of up to 80 m (262 ft) in depth , the canal is 6,3km (4 miles) long, 23m (75 ft) wide and 8m (26 ft) deep , and can take ships of up to 10,000 tons. The ancient Greeks also sought to cut a channel through the Isthmus to avoid ships having to circumnavigate the Peloponnese or be hauled over the Diolkos. Both Periander and Alexander the Great had considered the question but it was Nero who inaugurated the digging in AD 67 with a golden shovel: 6.000 prisoners were employed on the work. the site was abandoned after about 3 or 4 months when Nero returned to Rome. The canal was begun in 1882 by a French company, the Society International du Canal Maritime de Corinth, inspired by a proposal made in 1829 by Virlet d' Aoust, a member of the Morean Commission. Work stopped in 1889 when the company went bankrupt but the canal was competed by the Greeks in 1893. The best view of the canal is from the bridge which carries the road over it.
Shortly after, our private tour arrives at the Ancient town of Corinth (visit). Back in ancient times Corinth was one of the three major powers in Greece, and took part in all the battles against the Persians. It was from one of the richest cities and this is quite evident by its remains, including the huge Agora (market place) and Apollo's Temple ( 6th c . B .C.)
Ancient Corinth. The archaeological site is dominated by the Archaic temple of Apollo (photo), built on a rocky hill. It is a Doric peripteral temple with monolithic columns (6x15). First the Naos Oktavias: a Roman building from which three Corinthian capitals found. Left the Museum: The collections consist of most of the pieces produced by the excavations. Naos Iras: an old sanctuary to Hera, to reach the adjoining Glafki Krini: fountain Glauke, cut into the natural rock. Agora: sanctuaries and temples, fountains and public buildings, flanked by a series of shops and stoas. In the middle of a row of shops which stood along the south edge of the agora's central section, is the bema (tribunal) from which St .Paul spoke to the Corinthians in AD 52. South Stoa, Propilea: only the base of the monumental entrance to the agora remains. In the Roman era it was surmounted by two great gold Chariots belonging to Helios and his son Phaeton. A paved street, the Lechaion way, led from the agora, through Propylaea to the port. Pirini Krini: The Peirene fountain dates from the 6cBC but has been remodeled many times. Odeon: Excavations have revealed a small Roman theatre dating from the AD 1. The banks of seats, most of which are shewn out of the rock, could accommodate about 3000 spectators. Greek Theatre: Begun in the 5c BC it was remodeled several times particularly in the AD 3 when the stage was enlarged to accommodate gladiatorial combats and nautical spectacles. It held about 18000 people
Corinth is mentioned many times in the New Testament, largely in connection with Paul the Apostle's mission there, testifying to the success of Caesar's refunding of the city. The apostle Paul first visited the city in AD 49 or 50. Paul resided here for eighteen months (see Acts 18:1–18). Here he first became acquainted with Priscilla and Aquila with whom he later traveled. They worked here together as tent makers (from which is derived the modern Christian concept of tent making), and regularly attended the synagogue. In AD 51/52, Gallio presided over the trial of the Apostle Paul in Corinth. This event provides a secure date for the book of the Acts of the Apostles within the Bible. Paul wrote at least two epistles to the Christian church, the First Epistle to the Corinthians (written from Ephesus) and the Second Epistle to the Corinthians (written from Macedonia).
Ancient Corinth Archaeological Museum. The museum houses a large collection of artifacts of the local archaeological site and smaller sites in the neighboring area, such as Korakou, Gonia, and Acrocorinth. The artifacts, which were systematically recovered beginning in 1896 by the Corinth Excavations, illustrate much about Ancient Corinth through Greek, Roman and Byzantine rule. Exhibits include statues, mosaics, pottery and sarcophagi. The museum consists of four rooms. In room one are finds from the prehistoric installations in the area and includes pottery, figurines, and tools. Room two contains objects from the Geometric, Archaic, and Classical periods. Room three houses statues of Roman rulers, floor mosaics, wall paintings and Roman and Byzantine pottery. The Asklepieion room contains mainly votives from the Asklepieion at Ancient Corinth. With the generous donations of Mrs. William H. Moore, the American School of Classical Studies at Athens built the museum in 1931 and its expansion in 1950.
Acrocorinth Castle: The ascent to Acrocorinth Akrocorinthos, 575m (1887 ft) is facilitated by a road which climbs to a point near the lowest gate on the W side. This commanding site was fortified in ancient times , and its defenses were maintained and developed during the Byzantine, Frankish, Turkish and Venetian periods. After a moat (alt. 380 m -1247 ft) constructed by the Venetians there follow the first gate, built in the Frankish period (14th,c.) and the first wall 15th c. then come the second and third walls (Byzantine: on the the right, in front of the third gate, a hellenistic tower). Within the fortress we follow a path running NE to the remains of a mosque (16th c.) and then turn South until we join a path leading up to the eastern summit, on which there once stood the famous Temple of Aphrodite, worshipped here after the Eastern fashion (views of the hills of the Pelloponnese and of Isthmos).
The Heraion of Perachora is a sanctuary of the goddess Hera situated in a small cove of the Corinthian gulf at the end of the Perachora peninsula. In addition to a temple of Hera of unusual construction and antiquity, the remains of a number of other structures have also been found, including an L-shaped stoa, a large cistern, dining rooms, and a second potential temple. The Sanctuary of Hera at Perachora is 14.2 km north-northwest of Corinth and 76 km west of Athens.
The sanctuary of Hera was founded at the beginning of the 8th century B.C., probably by the Argives or the Megarians, but it soon came under the control of the Corinthians. In the 6th century B.C., the shrine of Hera Akraia was constructed on the site of a Geometric apsidal temple, and 200 m. east of it, near the harbour, the shrine of Hera Limenia was built.
Cult activity at the site continued from perhaps the 9th century BCE to 146 BCE, when the Roman general Mummius sacked Corinth during the war with the Achaean League. In the Roman period, domestic structures were built on the site, indicating that the area was no longer a sanctuary. This site is significant for the study of the origins of Greek temple architecture and rural cults.
The Sanctuary was excavated in 1930-1933 by the British School of Archaeology at Athens. The finds are exhibited in National Archaeological Museum of Athens and the Archaeological Museum of Ancient Corinth.
Private tour to Corinth /Daily: Half day up to 5 hours or one day tour up to 7 hours). Please read Touring/Info*
Sites & Museums: Summer: daily, 8.00 to 20.00 pm. Winter: 8.00 to 17.00 Last entry 30 min before closing.Entrance fee to site & Museum 8 Euro. Acrocorinth Acropolis 3 Euro
Closed on Holidays: January 1st. , March 25th, May 1st, Easter Sunday, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. On Good Friday, the sites are open 12.00 - 17.00.
Argolis Tour (Mycenae Epidaurus Corinth)
More daily tours here: Day tours in/from Athens
Highlights of Corinth Private Tour
Scenic Views (Elefsis , Megara, Salamina)
Vema: Sain Paul
Apollo Temple, Agora
Acrocorinth Acropolis & Castle
If your tour is extended, time permits for Lunch and swim in Loutraki